The PTY comprises three assessed modules:Module Level P Credits
· VisitingTutors’ Assessments 25 credits
· WorkplaceSupervisor’s Evaluation 45 credits
· ProfessionalandPersonal Development
-Student’sOral Presentation 10 credits
-Student’s Placement Report 40 credits
The professional placement year (Level P) constitutes the third year of the four-year undergraduate degree programme. A student will require at least 75 credits at Level 2 in order to proceed to Level P. Please note: the Professional Placement year (Level P) is compulsory for BSc Sociology and Social Research Students.
For the Student
· To acquire, develop and apply new skills appropriate to the professional setting in which they are working.
· To apply knowledge and skills acquired in the academic setting to the practical demands of the employing organisation.
· To develop and utilise appropriate interpersonal skills in the organisation setting.
· To develop and refine the communication skills required of a person working in a professional capacity.
For the Department
· To provide students with the opportunity to apply their knowledge and skills as an employee in a professional capacity.
· To promote Departmental links with industry, commerce and professional bodies
· To keep abreast of developments in the behavioural sciences as applied in a 'real world' setting
· To make graduates more attractive to employers and enhance their employment prospects
· To produce a more rounded and mature graduate
For the Employer
· To employ (for a limited period), an intelligent and committed individual who will contribute to the effectiveness of the organisation.
· To participate in a professionally-oriented education scheme at university level.
· To contribute to undergraduate learning so as to produce graduates with the knowledge and skills which are of value to the employer.
· To enhance the links between University and employers to the potential benefit of both.
The social sciences offer a wide range of placement possibilities. Whatever your chosen placement, the University requires that it conform to the following broad outline:
Timing: The period during which students must undertake their professional year is from completion of their examinations at the end of Level 2 (June), to immediately prior to commencing their final year (October the following year).
Duration: During this l5 month period, the normal university requirement is that students will undertake 46 weeks (excluding holidays) of employment in a relevant professional placement.
The University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XH | Tel: +44 (0)1483 300800 | Fax: +44 (0)1483 300803 | Contact
Disclaimer | Accessibility | Freedom of Information| Oracle Portal