|Please contact the module administrator
This consists of an audio recording of an assessment interview (or patient consultation) conducted after the three day course. On the basis of this interview the student will write a critique of their communication skills and an analytical reflection supported by researched-based literature (2,500-3000 words).
|• Critically evaluate the ability to elicit and respond to patients’ problems, worries and concerns
• Critically reflect on the effectiveness of one’s communication skills
• Implement effective strategies to enhance the emotional well being of patients and their carers
|On completing this module the student should be able to:
Subject knowledge and understanding
• Develop an in-depth knowledge of concepts and frameworks of interpersonal and intra-personal communication skills.
• Explore the evidence base of effective communication skills and the barriers and facilitators to such skills in different health care contexts
• Demonstrate knowledge of equality and diversity in relation to communication
• Critically analyse the ability to tailor complex information to the needs of patients and carers
• Reflect upon and critically appraise one’s own and others’ communication skills
• Demonstrate skill in facilitating patients’ expression of their concerns
• Utilise effective communication skills in building rapport and developing a relationship with the patients and carers
• Give constructive feedback to participants during experiential learning
• Reflect on personal skills when interacting with patients and families
• Appreciate the need for professional support and clinical supervision
• Work co-operatively and promote active learning
|What are Advanced Communication Skills?
Breaking bad news
Handling difficult questions
Handling difficult emotions eg denial, anger, anxiety
Assessing and tailoring information to individual needs
Communication within the multidisciplinary team
Support and clinical supervision
Culture and communication
Barriers to communication
Equality and diversity
|Methods of Teaching/Learning
|Taught: 30 hrs
Self-directed: 150 hrs
|ESSENTIAL READING LEVEL
Burnard P. & Gill P. (2008) Culture, communication and nursing. Harlow, Pearson
Egan G. (2007) The Skilled Helper. (8th edn.) Brooks/Cole, CA
Fallowfield L, Jenkins V. (2004) Communicating sad, bad and difficult news in medicine. The Lancet. 363, pp. 312-19.
Lloyd M. & Bor R. (2009) Communication skills for medicine. (3rd edn.) Churchill Livingstone, London
O’Hagan K. (2001) Cultural competence in the caring professions. Jessica Kingsley, London.
Silverman J. & Kurtz S. (2005) Skills for Communicating with Patients. (2nd edn.) Blackwell, Oxford.
Tate P. ( 2006) The doctor’s communication handbook. Radcliffe, Oxford.
Wilkinson S M, Leliopoulou C, Gambles M, Roberts A. (2003) Can intensive three day programmes improve nurses’ communication skills in cancer care? Psycho-Oncology. 12, pp.1-13.
BACKGROUND READING LEVEL
Journals and websites
British Medical Journal
Patient Education and Counselling
Journal of Advanced Nursing
International Journal of Nursing Studies
International Journal of Palliative Nursing
Social Science and Medicine
|3RD AUGUST 2010