Coursework: (35% of total assessment)
· Contribution to conducted ensemble playing 10%
· Contribution to unconducted ensemble playing 15%
· A reflective diary. Up to 1,500 words 10%
Examination: (65% of total assessment)
· Presentation of a short public recital during the
final part of the 2nd Semester.
15 to 20 minutes playing required. 65%
Criteria of Assessment for Performance
Final Year Performance equates to an ability to sustain a semi-professional performing career. At this level, the following qualities should be exhibited:
- Fluency and control of expression;
- Communication of your awareness of the music’s structure and idiom;
- Appropriate consideration of historical performance issues;
- Technical control;
- Sound quality and tone projection;
- Commitment to both the music performed and to the act and manner of performance;
- Establishing a rapport with the audience.
Ensemble performance – in addition to the above criteria, the following also apply:
- Effectiveness of your role within chamber and orchestral contexts;
- Punctuality, reliability and affability in all rehearsal situations.
A mark above 70% (first class pass) will normally be awarded for a performance which displays a professional level of competence in all the qualities listed. Marks in excess of 80% are awarded only to performances which display excellence in all the qualities listed.
A mark in the range 60-69% (upper second class) will normally be awarded for a performance which meets all the qualities listed, with a high standard in most of these.
A mark of 50-59% (lower second class) will normally be awarded for a performance which meets four or more of the qualities listed to a high standard and the others to a lower standard.
A mark of 40-49% (third class pass) will normally be awarded for a performance which displays all the qualities listed, but at a low level.
A mark of 35-39% will normally be awarded for a performance which significantly fails to display some of the qualities listed.
A mark below 35% will normally be awarded for a performance which fails to display most of the qualities listed.