Dr Alan Packwood (7 lectures)
· Impact of jets
· Force on a pipe bend
· Force on an orifice plate
· Energy loss in a sudden expansion
Viscous (laminar flow)
- Poiseuille flow in a pipe
Buckingham’s P theorem
- Poiseuille flow written in dimensionless form
Scale models (Re, Fr, Ma)
- Examples of empirical use (e.g. Cf vs Re and CD vs Re)
Professor Rex Thorpe (7 lectures)
· Turbulent flow
· Film model and 1/7th power law for time averaged flow in pipes
· Friction factors and pressure gradients in pipes (effect of roughness; Moody chart)
· Hydrodynamic resistance of sudden expansions, valves, bends, tees etc.
· Discussion of flat plates, including variation of shear stress with distance from leading edge. No discussion of integral-momentum equation
· Pumps and turbines
· Types of pump and turbine
· Head/flow rate characteristics (esp. centrifugal pumps)
· Pumps in series (includes mention of NPSH) and parallel
· Dimensional analysis of pumps (but not vector analysis)
· Pump and pipe-work calculations
· Balancing pumps against hydrodynamic resistances (but not pipe networks or multi-reservoir problems).
· Introduction to boundary layers on a flat plate
Dr Paul Hayden (20 lectures)
1 Boundary layer flow over a flat plate (incompressible)
· Reference to continuity and Navier-Stokes equations as exact equations
· Momentum integral equation for zero pressure gradient.
· Polynomial forms for velocity distributions, boundary conditions
· Approximate analyses for boundary layer development
2 Thermal energy integral equation (incompressible):
· Polynomial forms for temperature distributions, boundary conditions
· Approximate analyses for heat transfer.
· Parallel and counter-flow heat exchangers, log mean temperature difference.
3 Compressible inviscid flow
· General description of sub and supersonic flow
· Bernoulli's momentum equation, stagnation pressure, energy and stagnation temperature.
· Isentropic flow in convergent and divergent ducts, and choking.
· Qualitative description of over and under-expansion, and shock waves