That by the end of the module, students will:
· Be familiar with the appropriate Health and Safety issues when working, and understand the need for care in experimental procedures.
· Know how to test fresh and hardened concrete.
· Understand how the boundary layer wind profile over a surface is affected by its roughness.
· Appreciate how pressure measurements may be used to derive wind-induced drag factors.
· Understand the mechanisms of seepage and groundwater flow and the danger of uncontrolled seepage.
· Appreciate the factors controlling the shear strength of soil and the crucial role of pore water pressure.
· Have a broad understanding of the mechanism of consolidation of soils.
· Be able to apply basic theory and analysis software to predict the behaviour of unbraced frames.
· Appreciate the concept of composite beam action and be able to apply the principles in the design of composite beams.
· Have improved their ability to undertake experimental investigations, to research independently and to report their findings.