The objectives are that, by the end of the module, students will be able:
· To measure angles using a basic theodolite and total stations.
· To measure heights using a level, total stations and GPS.
· To measure distances using tapes, total stations (EDM) and GPS
· Book, check and reduce their measurements
· Plan out a small site survey and then use a total station and a full traverse kit to hand book and subsequently reduce the data.
· Plan out a small site survey and then use a total station to store the readings and to download and reduce the data in the appropriate software.
· Prepare the setting out calculations for a rectangular structure and for a circular curve.
· Set out the structure in the field using theodolite intersection, a total station, robotics & GPS.
· Set out a circular road curve in the field.
· Map areas of the campus using simple line and offset, total stations, one person units, robotics, GPS with a base and rover, smartnet and an exercise utilising smartstation.