· A basic knowledge of 20th and 21st century art movements and their manifestation in specific forms and practices.
· A basic knowledge of the diverse contexts that have informed the development of the various art movements.
· An understanding of the way major art movements have interacted and/or are interacting.
· An understanding of the impact of the legacies of previous art and intellectual movements on 20th and 21st century art.
· An awareness of current debates on art and issues concerning the value systems and hierarchy of genres.
· An awareness of the emergence of the institutional structure for the arts in the United Kingdom with identification of current structures and institutions.
· Ability to evaluate contemporary policies and legislation that influence dance and arts practice in the United Kingdom.
· Ability to examine the main arguments to assess the impact of policies and legislation on dance and arts practice.
· Ability to appreciate and evaluate the impact of the institutionalisation of the arts on cultural production and practices.
· Ability to appreciate how the performing arts are located within a wider arts infrastructure.
· Ability to assess how artists address concerns and ideas current within wider society.
· Ability to identify links across a range of arts and cultural practices according to different systems of classification.
· Collect and analyse relevant data from a range of sources with guidance.
· Work within a gallery setting and across art forms.
· Ability to focus on a selected case study.
· Appropriately interpret and present information in written formats.
· Develop and present lines of argument from given theories.